Thursday, December 9, 2010

Nick and Jay :)

Sooooooooo… Jay and Nick. Nick and Jay. Without a doubt I like Nick better and I think he’s a better character. By better I mean that he’s more genuine, truthful, and up front in the story. Though the mystery of Jay Gatsby is far more intriguing, I think the secrets he is holding back from Nick and Daisy are treacherous and will make him the villain of the book. That’s why I’m just going to play it safe and keep my hopes on Nick, because he seems like he’s a lot less likely to let me down or do something bad that will make me dislike him later on in the story. And as for the relationship between the two: FAKE!! All Gatsby wanted to do was get close to him so the he could have a better chance of getting back into Daisy’s life. He was doing nothing but using Nick. He invited him over to the parties, to lunch, and had someone cut his grass without charge. For example in chapter six Gatsby and Daisy practically ignored Nick for most of the time that they were together at Gatsby’s house. For some reason they both wanted him in their presence but he was obviously serving no purpose.  The book says on page 96, “They had forgotten me,…Gatsby didn’t know me at all”. After Gatsby got what he wanted all along, he didn’t need Nick anymore. Nick had already served his purpose with him. Gatsby has already made one malicious act against Nick by using him, what’s next?

2 comments: