Thursday, December 2, 2010

Let the Poems begin!

The ground hardens with ice,
The frigid cold chills my bones,
My hands, dry, callused, and rigid.
My teeth make a beat of their own

The trees are barren, without cover or
Shield from the unforgiving, unbiased cold
Babies, adults, the elderly, all victimized
By the frosty temperatures; it discriminates
Against none and is determined to destroy
The comfort of life

The wind smacks me as I exit my warm
Comforting home, I am shocked and startled
Though I thought I had a possibility at resisting
It with my sheep-made gloves, hat and coat
But I still stood no chance on winter’s
 Territory

The sky, so gray and hopeless, set the stage for
Another cheerless day, the joy of daily activities
Was ruined by the arctic weather and was
Never to return until the next rejuvenating spring

The atmosphere moistened as a took a long,
Careful trudge through malevolent patches of ice
As I look up to the still discouraging, bleak skies
A small gift lands on the tip of my noise

Tis’ the very first snowflake of the season
Sweeter than all the others, and unable to be  
Superseded by any other snowflake
A smile cracked across my face, and made
The rest of my body numb to the cold I was experienced

To me now the chilliness of the atmosphere
Was only in my mind, and its reigns on me
Were broken
My heart was filled with warmth as if I were
At home again and this pleasure soiled the horrific plan of winter to steal my happiness   

1 comment:

  1. Nice poem bree. I was about to vote for you too! -_-
    You have a really strong voice when you speak.

    ReplyDelete