Sunday, February 13, 2011

Beat Street

Beat Street is nothing like a movie I've seen before. I've watched some movies about hip hop, but never like this one. One aspect I like about it is that it includes a driven plot of a real story while educating me about the ins and outs of hip hop. For example before watching this move I never knew that the idea of hip-hop not only included sick beats and slick rhymes, but also the artistic styles of graffiti and the back-breaking moves of break dancing. Its all intertwined together and neither can survive without the other. And I really cant decide which aspect of Hip-Hop I like better in this movie. First of all, the graffiti just mesmerizes me because I cant just draw to save my life and the way that Ramo effortlessly drew these murals and how he just dreamed them up in his head. He was a free-lance artist that used the world around him as his canvas and he made it beautiful with every spray. Then the dancing is on a whole other level. My body could never move like that. And even though those dances look outdated, I just cant deny that they were some good dancers. And I cant forget the way that some of the characters experimented with the music and proved  how anything could fit together, in some type of arrangement, to make a good sound.

And the one thing that ties all of these characters together is their passion. Whatever it was that they did, it wasn't just a hobby, but it was a definite part of their life that they couldn't survive without. The pride that they had in their artwork, dancing, or music was undeniable. A prime example of this is how Ramo got so excited when he saw a all-white train. He was astounded and determined to be the one to tag it. So yeah. Its been a good movie so far. And I cant wait to finish the movie.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment