Friday, October 29, 2010

Insight and Questioning into The Puritans, Salem, and The House of the Seven Gables!

                    Sooooooooo......today I have the responsibility of commenting on three different topics and Ill try my best to make sure it flows. So, here goes. I would like to first recognize the Puritans. I've learned a lot about them in class and about their lifestyle, but after more research it got me thinking about the logic of their reasoning behind all of it. I already knew that they lived a very strict lifestyle and they could not waver from it in any way. But they also believed that God had a pre-destined place for everyone to go, as in Heaven or Hell. So why would people just not live 'normal' lives, and just do the stuff that they wanted to do because no matter what they only had one, definite resting place. And as in normal I mean commit sins like all other people and allow themselves to make mistakes because no matter what their eternal resting place had already been decided.
                    On to the next subject, Salem. The one and only Salem, Massachusetts. The place Salem itself is only interesting to me for two reasons, the Salem Witch Trials and the House of Seven Gables book but there are other little, imposrtant tidbits about it that are good to know. The city actually was started by a group of fishermen. Back then it was a very important shipping and trading place because of its close location to the water. And this made the town very rich and increased its size. 
                   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment